Political leaders are vitally important – through the authority of government, they assess the distribution of power and resources, build relationships with other stakeholders and make decisions that can have great impact on the well-being of people.
Leadership in the political framework requires a focus on the long-term good, above and ahead of any personal short-term gains. Good political leadership requires a combination of charisma and integrity, as well as the ability to assess a situation and make a decision based on what would be best for the greatest number of people. Most of all, leadership in a political framework requires ‘statesmanship’ – as opposed to just being a ‘politician’ – this means having the integrity and willingness to stand up for what is right.
This masterclass will give us the opportunity to explore together what good political leadership looks like and the skills needed to work effectively in this arena.
- Councillor Maureen Bateson MBE, Assistant Executive Member for Children and Education, Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
- Councillor Joanne Harding, Executive portfolio holder for Adult Social Care, Trafford Council
- Gillian Bishop, Chief Executive, North West Employers
About the Collaborative
We are an influential partnership, formed from cross sector organisations in the North West. We represent the NHS, health and social care and local government to bring you a range of collaborative masterclasses.
By combining our unique specialisms, the collaboration explores innovative thinking with expert speakers, to provide cross sector knowledge sharing for leaders across the North West.
The collaborative is made up of the following organisations:
- Advancing Quality Alliance (AQuA),
- Mersey Internal Audit Agency (MIAA)
- NHS North West Leadership Academy (NHS NWLA)
- North West Employers (NWE)
- North West Association of Directors of Adults Social Care Services (ADASS)
- Innovation Agency Coaching Academy